Bircher Muesli : The Authentic overnight oats recipe
Bircher Muesli was developed around 1900 by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Brenner for his patients and is still a very popular breakfast throughout Switzerland and Germany.
The original recipe called for much more fresh fruit than grain and soaked the raw oats overnight since they took some time to soften. Nowadays, a soak time of 30-60 minutes seems to suffice when using quick oats.
I will recommend to prepare it the night before so that we don’t have to wait for our breakfast in the mornings.
My people like to not only eat the muesli for breakfast but also in the afternoon as a snack. As far as toppings go, you can use just about anything your heart desires for fruit and nuts.
You might like to alternate between blueberries, strawberries, nectarines, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, and toasted coconut. And of course, for most people, no muesli is complete, without raisins, which is often added the night before so that they are nice and soft.
Keep in mind, when using rolled or old-fashioned oats, they will require a longer soak time than quick oats. I also like the texture to be quite softer, so this recipe uses quite a bit of liquid and yogurt. If you prefer a thicker texture just decrease the amount of milk and yogurt.
If you and your kids like oatmeal and yogurt, you will love bircher muesli. It’s the perfect summer-time breakfast, and not only really easy to make, but healthy too!
- 2 cups/150g rolled or quick oats
- 1¾ cups/420ml milk
- ¼ cup/60ml apple juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored and grated with the peel
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups/375g plain yogurt
- A dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Toppings: your favorite fresh and/or dried fruit, nuts, toasted coconut, etc.
- Our favorites: blueberries, strawberries, raisins and hazelnuts
- Combine oats, milk, apple juice and lemon juice and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- In the morning add the grated apple, honey (to taste), yogurt, and cinnamon, if desired, and mix well.
- Top with your favorite fruits and nuts.
* If you are short on time in the mornings, you can add the grated apple the night before to save a few minutes.