Need to make somebody’s day? Bake them some banana bread!
Banana bread is a type of basic, all-American consolation meals recipes that fills the entire home with heat and makes every little thing higher. Banana bread is magic.
I perfected this Healthy Wholesome Banana Bread recipe for my cookbook and needed to share it with you right here. This recipe has all of the hallmarks of basic banana bread—it’s fluffy, moist, infused with candy banana taste, and beloved by toddlers and adults alike.
Bonus? This recipe requires simply one bowl, a couple of measuring cups and a few fundamental substances.
What makes this banana bread wholesome?
- This banana bread recipe is made with 100 p.c complete wheat flour, in contrast to traditional banana bread recipes that decision for refined flour and many processed sugar.
- This banana bread is naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup, which supply some hint vitamins that white sugar doesn’t.
- Lastly, this recipe requires a cheap quantity of unrefined oil reasonably than complete sticks of butter (select from virgin coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil).
As you’ll be able to see, my do-it-yourself banana bread has loads of redeeming qualities.
Banana Bread Flour Choices
This Healthy Wholesome Banana Bread is versatile! Any of the next flours will work nicely. My favourite choices are white complete wheat flour and complete wheat pastry flour—they provide all the entire wheat vitamins, without the characteristically nutty taste.
- All-purpose flour
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
- Oat flour*
- Spelt flour
- Entire wheat flour
- Entire wheat pastry flour
- White complete wheat flour
*To substitute oat flour, you’ll want to make use of 2 1/2 cups, for causes elaborated in my information to oat flour.
Tip: How you can Measure Flour
For finest outcomes, it’s essential to measure your flour correctly. Right here’s find out how to measure flour in cups utilizing the “spoon and swoop” methodology:
- Gently stir your flour with a big spoon to loosen it up.
- Spoon the flour into your measuring cup (don’t scoop it in!).
- Stage off the surplus with a butter knife.
Banana Bread Variations
Now that I’ve lastly perfected this fundamental banana bread, be happy to vary up this recipe and make it your individual. Toss some chopped pecans or walnuts into the batter! The identical goes for chocolate chips. You would additionally add raisins, chopped dried fruit or slices of bananas.
Craving muffins as an alternative? Observe my recipe for wholesome banana muffins.
Following a particular eating regimen? With a few minor tweaks, you can also make this bread vegan (so dairy-free and egg-free, too) or gluten-free. Examine the recipe notes for particulars.
Wholesome Banana Bread
This Healthy Wholesome banana bread recipe is made with complete wheat flour and naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup. You may simply make this banana bread vegan or gluten-free. Recipe yields 1 loaf (about 10 slices).
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil or top quality vegetable oil*
- ½ cup honey (168 grams) or maple syrup (155 grams)
- 2 eggs( If you want, but it is not necessary)
- 1 cup (225 grams) mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 massive bananas)
- ¼ cup (56 grams) milk of alternative or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder; they aren’t the identical!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon, plus extra to swirl on high
- 1 ¾ cups (220 grams) white whole wheat flour or common complete wheat flour**
- Completely non-compulsory: ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, raisins, chopped dried fruit, recent banana slices…
- Preheat oven to 325 levels Fahrenheit (165 levels Celsius) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a big bowl, beat the oil and honey along with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat nicely, then whisk within the mashed bananas and milk. (In case your coconut oil solidifies on contact with chilly substances, merely let the bowl relaxation in a heat place for a couple of minutes, like on high of your range, or heat it for about 10 seconds within the microwave.)
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to mix. Lastly, change to a giant spoon and stir within the flour, simply till mixed. Some lumps are okay! When you’re including any extra mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle calmly with cinnamon. When you’d like a fairly swirled impact, run the tip of a knife throughout the batter in a zig-zag sample.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear (sometimes, if I haven’t added any mix-ins, my bread is finished at 55 minutes; if I’ve added mix-ins, it wants nearer to 60 minutes). Let the bread cool within the loaf pan for a minimum of 10 minutes. You could have to run a butter knife across the edges to loosen the bread from the pan. Fastidiously switch the loaf to a wire rack to chill earlier than slicing.