Tasty Banana Coconut Muffins
Tasty Banana Coconut Muffins! I’m assured you’ll fall in love with the candy, shiny flavors and contrasting textures in these little treats.
These Tasty Banana Coconut Muffins style acquainted and comforting, given their fluffy, banana-infused insides. They’re additionally enjoyable and tropical, due to the shredded coconut you’ll discover on the within and on the muffin tops. A little bit of lemon zest brings all of the flavors collectively.
Like my wholesome banana muffins, these muffins are additionally made with entire wheat flour and naturally sweetened (this time, with honey).
These muffins are primarily based on a unique recipe, although, and yield smaller muffins which can be good for satisfying your afternoon candy tooth. You may additionally serve them for a grab-and-go breakfast this Memorial Day weekend.
Inquisitive about how this recipe got here to be? I can’t keep in mind how I initially discovered Deb’s Double Coconut Muffins, however, I used to be utterly taken by her coconut-topped beauties.
Within the unique recipe, Deb offers a protracted record of instructed substitutions, together with swapping mashed banana for the yogurt. I used to be out of my staple Greek yogurt so I reached into my freezer for the bag of ripe, frozen banana chunks to defrost.
This was a serendipitous substitution as a result of the banana provides the sweetness that unsweetened coconut flakes lack. In my second batch, I traded 1/four cup honey for the 1/Three cup sugar and located that the dry coconut soaks up the additional moisture within the honey.
I’m three batches deep on this recipe and I can say with certainty that these muffins are finest with banana, sweetened with honey and topped with a heavy sprinkle of coconut and a few glittering uncooked sugar.
Craving extra banana goodness? Listed below are just a few extra of my favourite banana recipes:
- Wholesome Banana Bread and Wholesome Banana Muffins
- Entire Wheat Banana Pancakes and Banana Oat Pancakes
- Favourite Banana Cake
- Vegan Banana Nut Scones
- Banana Almond Smoothie
Tasty Banana Coconut Muffins
These naturally Tasty Banana Coconut Muffins are a real treat. I bet you can’t tell they’re made with 100% whole wheat flour! Recipe yields 1 dozen muffins.
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or white/common entire wheat flour
- ½ cup white entire wheat flour or common entire wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fantastic sea salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (the zest from about ½ medium lemon)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (from about 3 bananas)
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 giant egg, ideally at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 tablespoon turbinado (uncooked) sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 levels Fahrenheit. If obligatory, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with butter or muffin liners (my pan is non-stick and didn’t require any grease).
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flours, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Stir in ½ cup of the shredded coconut.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk collectively the mashed banana, coconut oil, honey, egg and vanilla.
- Pour the moist elements into the dry elements and stir till simply mixed. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups (a scant ¼ cup batter every), then sprinkle the muffin tops with the remaining ¼ cup shredded coconut. Sprinkle the tops with the uncooked sugar.
- Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes, till a toothpick inserted into the middle, comes out clear. Switch muffins to a cooling rack and allow them to cool.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s Double Coconut Muffins.
MAKE IT VEGAN: All you’ll need to do is replace the egg with a flax egg. I haven’t tried this substitution myself, but it should work.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Based on similar recipes, Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose blend should work well.
FREEZE IT: The muffins freeze well!
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: I like these muffins served warm for breakfast with a side of Greek yogurt, or with a little dollop of tart lemon curd for a sweet afternoon snack.