Vegan banana caramel upside down cake
Make extra out of this luxurious, sweet and salty caramel sauce The vegan ABCs cookbook Drizzle over apples, sundae or swirl in brownie batter.
What you need:
For the miso caramel sauce:
1 cup of sugar
¼ cup of cold water
½ cup low-fat unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons of white miso
2 teaspoons of vegan butter
¼ teaspoon salt
For the banana cake:
2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons of water
¼ cup of miso caramel sauce
3 ripe bananas, cut lengthways
1½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon peel
½ teaspoon of salt
1 cup of unsweetened vegan yogurt
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of sunflower oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
What you do:
- For the miso caramel sauce, add sugar and water to a small saucepan and stir. Set the heat to medium-low and only cook the saucepan occasionally, until the mixture is bubbly and a light amber color (about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Put the coconut milk, miso, butter and salt in a separate small saucepan. Use a small silicone spatula to break up miso. Turn the heat on low and whisk until the mixture is completely smooth and warm.
- Add the miso mixture to the sugar mixture and whisk quickly. Cover and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch springform pan or baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the linseed and water together. Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pour caramel sauce into the prepared pan and spread it in a thin layer near the edges using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Place bananas on top of the caramel with the flat sides down and the rounded sides up. When the cake is turned upside down, the cut side is facing up. Put aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Add flax eggs, yogurt, sugar, sunflower oil, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer on low speed until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter over the bananas and place in the oven. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest for at least 30 minutes. Gently turn the cake onto a platter and release the springform pan or faucet on top to reveal the cake. Remove the parchment round. Let cool completely before serving.
Photo credit: Alexandra Shytsman