Vegan buttermilk buckwheat pancakes with almond butter caramel
Drizzle of sweet and salty almond butter caramel sauce over these hearty, gluten-free pancakes The vegetable cookbook will take your brunch to a new dreamy level. Serve with fresh berries, caramelized bananas and toasted coconut.
What you need:
For the almond butter caramel:
6 pitted Medjool dates soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
½ cup of almond butter
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup of unsweetened vegan milk
For the buttermilk pancakes:
1¾ cups of unsweetened vegan milk
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 cup buckwheat flour
½ cup of brown rice flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 medium-sized ripe banana
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh fruit for serving
What you are doing:
- For the almond butter caramel, drain the dates and discard the soaked water. In a high speed mixer, add the dates, almond butter, cinnamon, salt and milk and stir until smooth. Add more milk if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve the consistency you want. Transfer to a glass or bowl and set aside.
- For the pancakes, preheat the oven to the lowest temperature, line a baking pan with parchment paper and place in the oven.
- Mix the milk with lemon juice in a medium bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and mix together.
- Put the milk and vinegar mixture, banana, chia seeds and vanilla in a blender and stir until smooth. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until there are no lumps or dry spots.
- Warm a coated pan over medium heat. As soon as the pan is hot, scoop out half a cup of batter and pour it onto the pan. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until bubbles form on the pancake and the edges are dry. Turn over and cook for another minute. Put cooked pancakes in the oven on a baking sheet (in one layer) to keep them warm. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Serve the pancakes with fresh fruit and almond butter caramel.
Photo credit: Ashley Madden