Crunchy, golden, sugar-dusted churros from the A green planet Cookbook are fried to perfection. Toggle it by dipping in warm peanut butter, strawberry sauce, or vegan caramel sauce.
What you need:
For the churros:
2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of salt
¼ cup neutral vegetable oil
2 cups of flour
5 to 6 cups of oil for frying
For the cinnamon and sugar coat:
½ cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
For the chocolate sauce:
⅓ Cup of dark chocolate chips
¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
What you are doing:
- For the churros, bring the water, salt and vegetable oil to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. After cooking, remove the mixture from the heat. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and water mixture. Stir until everything is well mixed, then let the dough cool for 15 minutes.
- For the cinnamon coating, mix the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Put aside.
- After cooling, put the dough in a piping bag with a large star nozzle attachment. Then, in a deep saucepan, bring 5 to 6 cups of vegetable oil (enough to completely submerge churros) to 375 degrees.
- Press 2 to 3 pieces of dough at a time over a saucepan of oil (about 10 to 15 cm long). Cut off each piece with scissors or a knife.
- Fry the churros until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes per batch. Remove each from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Let sit for 30 seconds before rolling in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- For the chocolate sauce, melt the chocolate, coconut milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a double boiler over low heat. Keep stirring until the chocolate has melted, then transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve churros while they are still warm with a side dish of chocolate sauce.