Vegan Grilled Flaky Welsh Cakes
Serve out these Welsh cakes The great British vegan Enjoy the cookbook warm from the pan with vegan butter and jam or alone with a hot cup of tea.
What you need:
1¾ cups of self-rising flour plus extra for dusting
½ cup of raisins
¼ teaspoon apple pie seasoning
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup of sugar plus extra for sprinkling
7 tablespoons of vegan butter
3½ tablespoons of unsweetened vegan milk
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
What you are doing:
- Mix the flour, raisins, apple pie spice, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Add butter and rub in flour with your fingers until it has a breadcrumb consistency.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour milk. Stir gently until a batter forms.
- Dust a work surface lightly with flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ inch. Use cookie cutters to cut out 10 2-inch discs.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm oil. Fry cakes in batches for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and sprinkle with sugar. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.