Vegan Grilled Mushroom and Tofu Sisig Tacos
Known for its combination of spicy and fatty flavors, sisig is a sizzling meat dish common in the Philippines. Head chef Reina Montenegro from the purely vegan Filipinx restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area Area Chef Reina, switches to deep-fried tofu and sauteed mushrooms as meaty subs in these tempting tacos.
What you need:
For the Sisig:
4 ounces firm tofu, pressed, drained, and cut into ½ inch thick slices
Neutral oil, for frying
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
½ cup shiitake mushrooms
1 clove of garlic, diced
½ cup of diced onion
½ teaspoon of grated ginger
½ cup of diced green bell peppers
For the marinade:
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the papaya and carrot salad:
2 cups of grated fresh green papaya
1 tablespoon of salt
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated
½ cup of white vinegar
1 cup of water
½ cup) sugar
8 corn tortillas, for serving
1 lemon, quartered for serving
What you are doing:
- Pour 5 cm neutral oil into a deep saucepan over medium heat and heat. Carefully add the tofu in portions and fry until crispy. After cooling, dice into ¼-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and grill until charred, about 6 minutes. After cooling slightly, cut into small pieces. Put the tofu, mushrooms, garlic, onion, ginger, and paprika in a large bowl.
- For the marinade, put all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the tofu mixture over it and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the remaining olive oil and add the tofu mixture. Cook until vegetables are tender and tofu and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- For the papaya and carrot salad, put all the ingredients in a large bowl, toss, coat and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the tortillas on each side.
- To serve, add ¼ cup of tofu mixture to each tortilla and top with salad. Squeeze fresh lemon over it and eat warm.