Vegan Moroccan Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
This fragrant, hearty stew from the Plant-raised protein The cookbook is a wonderful way to enjoy the signature flavors and ingredients of Moroccan cuisine – including carrots, tomatoes, dried fruits, chickpeas and cinnamon.
What you need:
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
8 to 12 ounces vegan chicken, cut into strips
1 large red onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups of water
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and cut into approx. 1 cm thick slices
1 (15 ounce) can of diced fire fried tomatoes, unpoured
1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
¾ cup of dried apricots, cut in half
½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups of cooked couscous for serving
What you are doing:
- In a stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on most sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add water, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, chickpeas, cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chicken, apricots, half of the parsley, salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- To serve, divide the couscous into four flat bowls and pour the stew over them. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve.
Photo credit: Hannah Kaminsky