Vegan mushrooms with crab and cream cheese filling
Tender palm hearts replace meaty crabs in this stuffed mushroom recipe from the Make it vegan Cookbook, while a pinch of Old Bay rounds off the classic crab flavor.
What you need:
1 (14-ounce) can of palm hearts, drained and roughly chopped
1 large shallot, roughly chopped
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
¼ cup of coarsely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
½ cup vegan cream cheese, soft
¾ cup of panko breadcrumbs, divided
½ cup of grated or grated vegan parmesan
16 large Baby Bella or white mushrooms, stalked
½ teaspoon of salt
3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Lemon wedges, for serving
What you are doing:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the palm, shallot, garlic and parsley hearts in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped, 30 seconds to 1 minute, being careful not to process the mixture too long.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the palm hearts and season with Old Bay. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mixture is heated through.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the cream cheese, ¼ cup breadcrumbs and parmesan and mix well. In a separate large bowl, mix the mushroom caps with the remaining tablespoon of oil and salt. In a third bowl, mix the remaining ½ cup breadcrumbs with melted butter, garlic powder and paprika flakes. Put aside.
- Working with one mushroom cap at a time, carefully spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling into each cap. Place the filled mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet and cover each with a spoonful of breadcrumbs. Bake without a lid for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on top. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Photo credit: Ashley Hankins