Vegan No-Bake Girl Scout Samoas
No need to track down your local girl scout for a cookie fix, and with this recipe from HealthyGirl kitchenVegans can finally get a taste of the coconut caramel samoas that have long escaped us.
What you need:
1 cup desiccated coconut
½ cup of oatmeal
1 cup pitted Medjool dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ Cup of dark chocolate chips
What you are doing:
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Roast the coconut in a pan over medium heat until golden brown. Stir constantly to avoid burns, approx. 5 minutes.
- Put the coconut and oats in a food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds. Add the dates, vanilla, and salt. Mix until completely mixed and it resembles a crumbly texture that sticks together when rolled up into cookies.
- Take 2 tablespoons of batter. Shape into a ball, then shape into a flat, round biscuit. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Use a straw to drill a hole in the center of each biscuit. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Put the chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup. Melt by microwave in 45 second increments until melted, stirring between each step.
- Take the biscuits out of the freezer and dip the bottom of each biscuit in melted chocolate and place it back on the baking sheet. Drizzle the chocolate over it with a spoon. Freeze another 15 minutes to set the chocolate.
Photo credit: Danielle Keith