Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Every bite of those fudgy cookies out of the Vegan Christmas and Cocoa The cookbook is tough and rich thanks to the molasses notes in the brown sugar and the rich cocoa powder. Combine it with a large glass of cold oat milk and you are ready to make yourself comfortable by the fire.
What you need:
1 tablespoon of finely ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons of water
⅔ cup of all-purpose flour
¼ cup of oatmeal
½ cup of granulated sugar
¼ cup of packaged brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon of oil
¾ teaspoon of peppermint extract
1 cup of vegan chocolate chips, chips, or chopped chocolate bars
3 tablespoons of peppermint candy cane pieces (approx. 2 standard candy canes, chopped)
What you are doing:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the oil, peppermint extract, flaxseed mixture, and chocolate pieces and stir until all of the flour is incorporated. The dough will be very thick.
- Divide the cookie dough into 12 to 14 equal sized balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet 3 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes. It is better to under-bake something than to gratinate.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, top each biscuit with a generous pinch of pieces of candy cane and press lightly into the surface of the biscuits. Transfer cookies to a refrigerated shelf.