Vegan red lentil marinara spaghetti
This easy marinara recipe from The vegetable cookbook receives additional flavor and warmth from mushrooms, carrots and lentils. Serve with a simple, crunchy green salad or a side of crusty bread for a quick, people-friendly meal.
What you need:
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
2 medium-sized carrots, finely diced
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 ounce button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon of dried basil
¾ teaspoon of dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to your liking
1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2½ cups of vegetable stock
1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons of coconut sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
2 cups of baby spinach
16 ounces of gluten-free spaghetti pasta cooked according to the directions in the package
Vegan parmesan for garnish
What you are doing:
- In a large skillet, add the onion, carrots, and ¼ cup of water and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add water as needed to avoid burns.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, basil, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock and red lentils and stir. Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Partially remove the lid and simmer for another 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Remove the lid and add balsamic vinegar, coconut sugar, salt, spinach and cook for another minute. Take off the stove.
- To serve, divide the pasta on 4 serving plates and cover with marinara. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
Photo credit: Ashley Madden