Vegan sticky sesame orange tofu with pancakes
The sweet and spicy combination of jam and chilli compliments the tender tofu in this dish from the Vegan fake Cookbook. Replace the pads according to your requirements, e.g. B. Bean sprouts for a nice crunch or chives and mint to improve freshness.
What you need:
For the pancakes:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
½ cup of boiling water
1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
For the tofu:
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1 (9½ ounce) block of extra firm tofu, drain, pressed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
3 tablespoons of orange jam
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
2 spring onions, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
What you are doing:
- For the pancakes, put flour in a large bowl and pour into boiling water. Stir to form a thick batter, then let the batter sit for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle comfortably.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough for 5 minutes. Cut the dough into 8 even pieces. Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour, then roll each piece into a circle as thinly as possible.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly grease a pan with oil, then set it on medium to high heat. Add each pancake to the pan, cook for 30 seconds before turning it over, and cook for another 30 seconds to make sure it doesn’t turn brown. Keep warm.
- Dust the cornstarch evenly on a plate. Brush the tofu pieces evenly with corn starch.
- Put the oil in a separate pan over high heat and add the tofu. Cook for 10 minutes, turning frequently to ensure even cooking. Add the chilli flakes and cook for another minute. Add jam and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds, spring onions and salt. Put tofu in pancakes and serve.
Photo credit: Luke Albert