Vegan Swiss cheese balls with macadamia nut and herb crust
This delicious, dairy-free variant of Swiss cheese – from Moku roots Restaurant at Lahaina Gateway in Maui – is the ultimate party aperitif and is easy to customize. Try swapping the macadamia nuts for roasted pistachios or add chopped dried cranberries to the crust.
What you need:
For the cheese:
2 cups of macadamia nuts
1½ cups nutritional yeast
1½ cups of water
¾ cup of melted refined coconut oil
5 tablespoons of lemon juice
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of tapioca starch
1 tablespoon miso paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of white pepper
1 tablespoon of agar agar
For the crust:
1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
⅓ cup of finely chopped fresh herbs like parsley, dill, basil, thyme, sage, and rosemary
1 teaspoon of coarse salt
1 teaspoon of coarse black pepper
What you are doing:
- For the cheese, add macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, water, coconut oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, tapioca starch, miso, onion powder, garlic powder and white pepper to a high-speed mixer and stir until smooth.
- Pour into a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix. Stir in agar agar and stir continuously for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- After 1 to 2 minutes, remove from heat, place in a sealed container and let cool in the refrigerator for at least a few hours or overnight.
- After cooling, scoop out ⅓ cup of cheese with an ice cream scoop or spoon and roll into a ball.
- For the crust, add all the ingredients in a wide bowl or on a plate, stir and roll the cheese balls until they are evenly covered. Return to the refrigerator until serving.