Vegan Whipped Eggplant Filipinx Omelette
This whipped, crispy donut is traditionally dipped in an egg batter, but this recipe from head chef Reina Montenegro of the all-vegan Filipinx restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area Chef Reina, uses black salt to give the eggplant dish a subtle, egg-free taste.
What you need:
6 Japanese eggplants
1 cup of chickpea flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
⅓ cup of flour
1 teaspoon of black salt
1 to 1½ cups of water, as needed
1 tomato, diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
What you are doing:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prick the eggplant a few times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Take out of the oven.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover tightly with a lid and allow to cool. After cooling, peel off the skin. Press into the eggplant with a fork until it is flat.
- In a large bowl, mix the chickpea flour, baking powder, flour, black salt, and 1 cup of water. If necessary, add additional water until the consistency of the batter is reached.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm oil. Dip the eggplants one at a time in the batter and add to the pan. Roast, turn once, until golden brown. Take out of the pan.
- Add onion and tomato to fry and cook for three minutes. Arrange the aubergines and serve warm with cooked onions and tomatoes.